Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Those Pesky Dark Spots

 My tree has 1600 lights.
 
Or maybe it's 1700.  I don't remember at this point, but what I do know is that at least 4 sections (50 lights each) of those lights have gone out since I turned them on a couple of weeks ago.  So now I have four pesky dark spots on this 7.5' monument to Christmas cheer.  The first section went out the very night I put it up and it happened within an hour of hanging the final ornament.  
True story.  

If I don't seem terribly upset over this, well....it's because I'm not terribly upset over this.  
Perhaps a bit out of character for me, but that's just the way it is.  
And I'm good with that.  

I've simply found that it's tough to be upset over a few failing miniature lights when there are so many other beautiful, memory-filled things hanging from those less-than-perfectly-illuminated branches.  For instance...

Pictures and homemade gingerbread houses.
 Salt dough ornaments made by sweet little hands.
 Ornaments that speak of our personalities.
 FUN things we've had for a long, long time.
 And the ones I've received from friends over the years.




And so many others...I can't possibly post pics of them all,
but every single one of them means so much to me.
Decorating the tree each year is a trip down memory lane
and a very sweet trip, too.

To those of you who have contributed to my 
treasure trove of Christmas remembrances,
I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
This has always been my favorite time of year
and what better way to celebrate dear friends
and family than by thinking of them at Christmas,
remembering and appreciating all they've added to my life?

I hope Christmas brings to you
as many treasured memories as it does to me.
 Right now, even with the dark spots, 
my Christmas is looking pretty bright.  : )