Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Smile in the Mail


Did you ever find a smile in your mailbox? There have been a few times when I've pulled something totally unexpected and wonderful out of mine, and I think it is the fact that it is so completely unexpected that makes it even more special.

Christmas cards started rolling in here a week or so ago and they always brighten my day. : ) Who doesn't love receiving happy Christmas greetings from friends and family? Especially those we don't see very often. As for some of them, it's the only time of year we're in touch with each other.

On Saturday I received an absolutely gorgeous card! A lovely Christmas angel. She reminds me of cards I've seen in antique shops; those heirlooms of days gone by.

But she was not the only breathtaking thing in the envelope. Included with this sweet Christmas greeting was one of the nicest little notes I have ever received. : ) It was a note expressing appreciation for my blog and I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me.

I originally 'met' a very sweet lady named Vanessa while researching my family tree on the internet a few years ago. We exchanged some information regarding relatives we have in common from a couple of generations past and we never actually met face to face...just online. Vanessa was even so kind as to share copies of some additional information she had found regarding my maternal grandfather's family even though I really wasn't able to be of much help to her. She has been doing this research much longer than I have been and had made a lot more progress.

We have exchanged emails and Christmas cards and I always very much appreciate them. I know that some folks don't think much of online friendships, but some of the very nicest people I have met were met online. : ) Many of them I've still never seen face to face but we continue to maintain great friendships via the Internet.

Vanessa, if you are reading this, I want you to know how very much I appreciate your sweet words. : ) Your cards always brighten my day, but that little note tucked inside the angel could not have come at a better time for me. : )