Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fill in the Blank Friday and 5QF

Yeah, linking up on TWO fun sites this Friday. Just because I can. And that's how I roll. I'm all about spreadin' the love, ya know. ; )

First, I'll Fill in the Blanks.....


1. My Thanksgiving plans this year will include hosting dinner for my family, my inlaws and some friends. I think the head count is up around 14 or 15, but that is always subject to change. Everyone is welcome! : )

2. My favorite Thanksgiving was ....that's a tough one. Don't know if I can pinpoint one particular favorite, but I can tell you which was my least favorite! It was 1989 or 1990, and while sitting at the dinner table at my sister's house, Brie (who was 3 or 4 years old at the time) says "Mommy, I think I'm gonna..." and she hurled the entire contents of her stomach into her dinner plate, much to the dismay of her cousin with the weak stomach. By the day's end, I was sick as could be and holding tightly to the bathroom floor to keep the room from spinning. Never have felt the same way about cranberry salad since then either. ; )

3. My signature Thanksgiving dish is, I suppose, the turkey. I don't remember ever cooking a bad one so I suppose that's an accomplishment in and of itself. But I also mash the potatoes, make the rolls, bake my Mama's pumpkin pie recipe, etc.

4. My favorite Thanksgiving food is all of it! I LOVE Thanksgiving dinner. There is nothing more comforting. : )

5. Thanksgiving free association! Turkey...dressing/stuffing...mashed potatoes...Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...the kickoff of MY Christmas season...having the kids home all week (LOVE it!)

6. Thansgiving is a time for family, friends and food. Being grateful for all we have and counting our blessings. Sharing the bounty with others.

7. I am thankful for ALL of God's blessings in my life...my family, the roof over my head, the food in my pantry, my health. How on earth could I live this life and not be grateful? : )

{ Just click here to join in on the Fill in the Blank Friday fun! }

And now for 5QF. You can click here to link up! : )

1. What Christmas song do you loathe?

I honestly cannot think of a Christmas song that I loathe. I certainly like some (O Holy Night, There's a New Kid in Town, Warm and Fuzzy Time of Year, Holly Jolly Christmas, White Christmas) more than others (Blue Christmas...well, that's the only one I can even think of that I just really don't care to hear. Specifically the Elvis version. ) Yuck. My apologies to all you Elvis fans out there.
I just never developed a taste for his music. Sorry!

2. Do you and your significant other cuddle at night or sleep on opposite sides of the bed?

Opposite sides. Absolutely. I cannot stand to have someone breathing in my face! I feel like I'm smothering. And we have a king size bed, so it's more like we sleep in separate counties. I likes me space. ; )

3. Have you ever had surgery?

My first was a T&A at 16. Talk about a nervous wreck! That was me. And with good reason. I ended up with some bleeding issues, couldn't eat for more than a week and lost 7 pounds.

Not. Fun.

Since then I've had a YAG laser cone biopsy of my cervix; a hysterectomy; a cyst removed from my wrist; and I sincerely hope I never have to have more surgery. I'm a very good patient when I'm in the hospital, but once I come home I absolutely despise having to behave myself and follow doctor's orders. That almost always includes sitting around and doing nothing for a period of time and that is not my cup of tea.

4. When do you typically have your holiday shopping done?

I've been known to have it completed by October, but not for a few years. THAT was an awesome Christmas! : ) At the time I was working in a mall and Christmas shopping was a great way to kill my lunch hour. In recent years my greatest hope is to have it done by Thanksgiving.

But guess what. If you read this post, you know that to be done by Thanksgiving this year is little more than a dream. :(

Not happening. Already I cringe at the thought of what December holds for me.

5. If money were not an issue (and you HAD to pick something), what would your ultimate luxury item be?

I would want an Explorer again. Oh, how I miss my Explorer. :( But doggone it, gas mileage was never the greatest and fuel prices just kept skyrocketing. So when we had to get a new vehicle after driving a four-door truck for a couple of years (this is the truck on which we traded in the Explorer) we had to go for better gas mileage. That's how I ended up with what I refer to as The Two Door Speck. : )


And that's about it for this Friday. I think that's plenty, don't you? : )
Hope all of you have a terrific weekend! I'm not sure if I'll have time to post this weekend
since I have LOTS going on, but I'll at least check in on everyone's blogs
from my phone. I can typically do that when I'm waiting on kids somewhere. ; )