Friday, November 5, 2010

Pondering Happiness


Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it. ~Fyodor Dostoevsky


What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner. ~Colette

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet.
~James Openheim

*Unfortunately, there is not a portrait of Mr. Oppenheim to be found. :(


"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~A.A. Milne


I love all these quotes. They each strike a very different chord within me.


Dostoevsky makes me look harder at the blessings I already have.


Openheim makes me realize that I have the power to take control of my own happiness.


Colette makes me want to appreciate things NOW and not wait until it's too late. In other words, LIVE IN THE MOMENT!


And then there's Pooh. Such a wise bear, don't you think? He realizes that the destination is what you most anticipate, but often it's the anticipation that brings the most joy.


Don't know about you, but I think ol' Pooh Bear has got it goin' on. ; )