Friday, September 10, 2010

Chilly = Chili....and got pumpkin?

It's official. MY fall has begun. I know the calendar doesn't back me up on this, but when the mercury starts to dip...

...well, let's just say that does it for me.

We may still be hitting the 70s and 80s during the day, but temperatures are dropping into the 40s at night. When the sun falls behind the hill out back each evening and we feel the need to don long sleeves, THAT is fall. No matter what the calendar might say.


When my alarm pierces the silence of my sleeping house at 6:00 a.m. and I find it necessary to turn on a lamp in order to navigate my way through the house, that's another sure sign that fall has arrived.

But most of all, when my cravings turn from cool tossed salads and fresh fruits

to steaming pots of chili and potato soup and chicken noodle soup

it is TOTALLY AND WITHOUT A DOUBT


The other foods that come to mind at this time of year are pumpkin pie, spice bars made with molasses and ginger and cinnamon, pumpkin logs, apple dumplings, pumpkin bread....

There's a whole lotta pumpkin in that sentence.


And ordinarily that would not be a problem, but this year it is. In the last week I have made a horrendous discovery.

THERE IS NO PUMPKIN TO BE HAD.


Something happened to the pumpkin crops this year and the store shelves are bare of canned pumpkin. The fresh ones that are available locally are going for $10 each.

Not happening.

I love pumpkin but I will not pay $10 for one.

And guess what is the one thing we didn't plant in our garden this year.

You got it.

So I guess that means...



If you hear sobbing coming from this general vicinity in the next couple of months, you'll know why.