Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Tumpin on My Door


I'm sure you're familiar with tumpins,
though you may not realize it 
at the moment.
You see, when my kids were small
and unable to pronounce some of the
simplest of words,
'tumpin' is the best they could do
when attempting to say 'pumpkin'.
 So, see?
You do know tumpins!
Those lovely orange fruits 
whose flesh we love to carve,
whose seeds we love to roast
and whose meat makes the most
delicious and traditional of 
Thanksgiving pies.
I made this one last year.

Anyway, I was looking 
for something a little different 
to hang on my front door this fall.
I didn't have anything specific in mind.
In fact, it was just the opposite.
I really had no idea what I wanted.
I needed inspiration and 
spent hours combing through Pinterest,
all to no avail.

Then I took a trip to Crafts 2000 
with Brie and our friend Amanda
and lo and behold,
I found just the thing.
You see, not only did it catch my eye...
it was also super inexpensive.
I had only about $12 in the entire thing.
Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about.  ; )

I started with this:
Spent about twenty minutes with 
a pair of wire cutters and a hot glue gun
and ended up with this:
I'm pleased with it because it's different,
it was inexpensive,
and even though it doesn't have
the typical red/orange/yellow
color scheme
(which clashes terribly with 
my faded coral door)
it still looks plenty autumnal to me.

Now, your next vocabulary lesson
will come late next month 
when we discuss 'tippa tees'.

Come on.
I'm sure you can figure out that one on your own.

Hint:

; )