Wednesday, January 18, 2012

To Quote Emerson...


 “Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love quotes.  I sometimes Google 'quotes on life' or 'quotes on love' or whatever quotes I happen to be craving at that particular moment.  And sometimes those quotes really strike a chord.  Sometimes they really make me think.  Often enough, they really make me feel.  

This morning Mr. Emerson left me with that 'WOW!  That's just what I needed!' feeling.  

Finish every day and be done with it. 

So there.  Put yesterday behind you, where it belongs.  
Thank you.  I think I will.  

You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can.

Okay, so I made a few mistakes.  Don't we all?  Make it right when you can, apologize when you should and then put it behind you.  You know, in yesterday, where it belongs.  

Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

It's a clean slate.  A fresh start.  A time to try, try again.  If you leave yesterday's mistakes where they belong, that old nonsense surely can't be a hindrance.  Right?  I think so.  And with 'serenity' and a 'high spirit', what can we not accomplish?  

I would love to live every single day as if it's a brand new day!  To leave the past where it belongs and to see the possibility in what lies before me.  If I could forgive myself my mistakes as quickly as others are willing to forgive them, what a wonderful world it would be!  I struggle with that.  I allow my mistakes to define me.  Always have.  And I'd very much like to change that.  

So guess what I'll be working on today!  ; )