Monday, February 8, 2010

What a Daddy!

This is my Daddy, P. F. "Peck" Tucker, pictured with my Mom some 15 years ago on their 50th wedding anniversary.


He did lots of things that were deserving of recognition. He was mayor of Glasgow, WV for 40 years and he served the town well. For most of those years, the mayoral salary was a paltry $10 per month. Obviously, he wasn't in it for the money. It was for the love of doing good things that would make Glasgow a better place to raise a family. In order to raise his family, he held many jobs over the years, including driving for Jewel T, selling life insurance, and selling cars. Not bad for a guy who was forced to drop out of school in the 8th grade in order go to work so he could help his family make ends meet. And while he may have been a dropout, he was probably the smartest man I've ever known.

After retiring he spent a portion of each day delivering food, clothing and other necessities to those less fortunate. He did other people's taxes, notarized their signatures when needed, helped them in any way he could....all free of charge. Daddy did the things he did because he had a giving heart.

But my favorite memories of him are more personal. Sitting on his lap late at night watching Saturday Night Wrestling after he'd allowed me to sneak out of bed once Mom was asleep. :) Seeing him sitting on the front porch swing working his daily crossword puzzle. Hearing him whistling as he walked down the street.

My Daddy went to heaven 12 years ago today. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him, remembering something he said or did. And I will always do my very best to keep his memory alive and well.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF PECK TUCKER
JULY 4, 1918----------FEBRUARY 8, 1998

1 comment:

  1. It is so hard to lose our parents. I lost my mom 5 years ago next month. Sounds like your dad was one great guy! Glad you had the time with him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note! : )