Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Where is it?

Tucker came downstairs this morning dressed and ready for school, with the exception of his shoes being untied. They're new shoes and because of the unusual way they were laced, the strings were too short for him to handle. Seven year olds require great lengths of shoelaces in order to make a tidy bow, ya know.

I sat down and he propped his foot on my knee for assistance, putting his face at the same level as my own.

Can you say 'MORNING BREATH'?


"Tucker, did you brush your teeth?"

"Yes." It seemed sincere enough. However the next exhalation caused me to ask again.

"Tucker, are you sure you brushed your teeth?"

"Yes."

"Tucker, I'm afraid you're not using enough toothpaste or something."

A blank stare is all I got in return.

Once his shoes were tied he realized he had forgotten something upstairs.

"While you're up there, brush your teeth again. And this time be sure you use adequate toothpaste."



"Okay, Mom." I know his eyes rolled at this point, but he was out of my line of sight.

Then on his way up the stairs he asked "How much do I use?"

I told him an amount the size of a large pea.


"Ewwwwwwwww!" Not his favorite vegetable. Not that he has a favorite vegetable.

A few minutes later, from the top of the stairs.

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Where is it?"

"Where is what?"

"Adequate?"

"What?"

"Adequate Toothpaste. Where is it?"

"Tucker, what do you mean?"

"My toothpaste is on the sink. Dad's is in his drawer. Where is Adequate?"

When I was able to control my voice, I explained that 'adequate' is not a brand. It means the right amount, or just enough.

Silence. And then:

"Oh man. Are you kidding me?"

Kids. Ya gotta love 'em!

3 comments:

  1. There's never a dull moment when they are around... but you sure will miss all that when they leave the nest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just got off the phone with my grandson and could imagine HIM in that conversation. hilarious!! thanks for sharing -- hope you write that down in his "baby book." he (or his future wife) will get a kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so like a child. They take everything literally. What a sweet story.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note! : )