Wednesday, December 16, 2009

One irritating aspect of Christmas in my house is that the hubster always knows what is in every package that has his name on it. Seriously. Every package.

Sometimes it is the result of picking out the items and giving a list to his mom because she has no idea what to get him. Other times it is because he has picked up the box, shaken/tipped/jostled/sniffed/tasted* it until he figures out what it contains.

*Okay, so maybe he doesn't actually taste it, but I want you to fully understand that he has this down to a science.

Other times it is just because he is a really, really good guesser.

I hate that about him.

I am one of those people who doesn't have any desire to know what is in a giftwrapped package until it is opened. I love the anticipation! The suspense! The element of surprise!

Well, okay...I admit that sometimes the surprise isn't all that pleasant. For instance, when the size and shape of the box suggests a comfy, cozy bathrobe. Then you gently remove the ribbon and tear away the lovely wrapping paper, only to discover nestled within...the most hideously patterned, too-large-to-EVER-fit-you, 100% itchy wool sweater that you ever did see. (If you happen to have this particular sweater and you really like it, please accept my sincerest apologies. Go to a search engine and type in 'ugly sweater'. See what comes up. I'm just sayin'.)

That's when you learn to master the art of " Sure I love it! Who wouldn't?"

Don't want to hurt any feelings, ya know. And besides, you can also learn the art of 're-gifting'. ;)

(I really am coming to the point of my story, I promise.)

Last weekend I did something I always insist I will not do. And I didn't really want to do it, but it seemed silly to not do it at the time.

I chose one of my Christmas presents.

What has become of me? I'm giving up the anticipation! The suspense! The surprise!

We were at the mall. I've been in need of a new winter coat for quite some time. Coats were on sale. BIG time on sale.

You might not even consider this a 'coat', but more of a jacket. I don't know. I'm not nuts about wearing one anyway and seldom close it when I must wear it. My previous coat/jacket (which I've been wearing for AGES)had a broken zipper. For the past three years it had been broken. Not that it bothered me all that much, but I think it was the primary reason the hubster wanted me to pick out a newer model.

I've never owned a really expensive coat and never had a desire to, either. But I saw this one and thought "Oh, that looks SO lusciously soft and warm!" I walked right up, tried it on and thought I was in heaven.

Until I looked at the price tag. Why did I not do that before trying it on? I never allow myself to fall in love with something without first making sure it is a bargain! It was a 50% off sale, so I figured 'how bad can it be?' Well, the full price was $250. Imagine my shock and dismay. I wasn't about to spend that kind of money on myself, even for Christmas. I hung it back up and went to meet the hubster.

When we got in the truck he asked if I had managed to find time to look for a coat (we had discussed it on the way in, then immediately went our separate ways so I could shop for his gift) and I told him I had but it was too expensive. He asked the price. He thought it was extremely reasonable for a good, warm coat and insisted that we go back inside and buy it.

(Please imagine my shock once again. Thank you.)


Then, while waiting in the slower-than-molasses-in-January checkout line, I remembered a coupon I had in my purse. Another $15 off!

Don't ya just love a good deal???

And the very best part of all is that thanks to a cold front moving into our region, the hubster didn't insist upon wrapping it and making me go through the agony of opening it on Christmas morning. I didn't see the point. I can be using it now and I don't feign surpise all that well anyway.

Besides, if I had opened the package that morning and he had done something tricky, like substituting one of those ugly sweaters from the re-gifting closet...well, let's just say somebody would've gotten hurt.

1 comment:

  1. I always pick out my gifts. I tell my honey and kids what I want them to get me, and they go get it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note! : )