Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Another Thursday already. I can't believe how quickly the days are passing! They just don't seem to have enough hours in them. Our bridge, my community's connection to the rest of the world, has been closed for a few weeks and we are having to use a detour that adds an extra 6 or so miles to a trip into town. So now that forgotten gallon of milk or loaf of bread and those trips to run the kids to practices and bring them home again...well, let's just say it seems that I spend more time in my car than I do actually accomplishing the things that need to be getting done around here.

I feel SO far behind right now.

1. My Thanksgiving menu is not yet finalized.
2. My Christmas shopping has come to a standstill.
3. The word 'declutter' has virtually disappeared from my vocabulary. Again.
4. I have a million things I want to get done and can't seem to figure out where to begin.

So today I'm gonna make some progress.

Really.

Stop looking at me that way

I AM!!!

The first thing I have to do is change my attitude. Attitude can sure ruin a great day, ya know?
It will suck all the promise and possibility right out of ya! Gratitude can change all that, and that's why I'm glad I started this Thankful Thursday. Just remember:

GRATITUDE TRUMPS ATTITUDE
Every. Single. Time.

*Today I am grateful for Gini and Kevin and their willingness to carpool.
Their daughter is on the basketball team with Perri and we live in this same small community,
so carpooling makes great sense.

*Today I am grateful that I am able to plan a Thanksgiving feast.
I know that some folks out there aren't as fortunate.
And not only will my Thanksgiving include my family,
it will also include some very dear friends.
That means I am DOUBLY blessed!

*I am grateful that I still have 5 weeks to shop for Christmas.
I am grateful that I can shop for Christmas.
Even if I'll look like this afterward:*I am thankful that my family has plenty.
Plenty of food, plenty of clothes, plenty of stuff.
This means that we are fortunate and can share with others.
The decluttering will happen and I am grateful that I have things to declutter.

*I am thankful that I am able to do all that needs to be done,
even if I do have trouble figuring out where to begin.


There you have it. So if you are having trouble making a list of things for which you are thankful or if your attitude is not what you want it to be, make a different kind of list. Write down the things that are standing in your way; the things that are stumbling blocks; the things that are on your last nerve. Then put on your rose colored glasses and see why those very things that are driving you insane are actually great blessings in your life. Seriously. Try it. You'll feel better.

And then you'll make today a Thursday for which to be thankful.