Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thoughts for Thursday

When I write, I pretty much bare my soul. It's the one outlet I have where I allow myself to tell it like it is, lay it on the line and be brutally honest. Those writings may not always be put out there for everyone to see. They may be tucked away from prying eyes or even completely deleted from the hard drive, but either way they are my therapy. All of my writing is honest, but some may be a little too honest for others to read and is better left hidden. I'm not out to hurt feelings or stir anger. I only want to get it off my heart by putting it down in black and white because that's just what I've always done. Always know that what you read from me is what I am. We may have a two hour conversation that you think is revealing, but I could write two paragraphs and tell you so much more. It's just the way I'm wired. Other writers will understand. Non-writers may not.

On her blog yesterday, my friend Relyn asked us to reveal 'what you are the most'. Think about that. What a deep question! And it led to some deep thinking. Or I suppose I should say more deep thinking. I've been doing a lot of that lately, I'm afraid. Heavy times lead to heavy thoughts, ya know? ; )

Anyway, I love quotes. All KINDS of quotes. But on this foraging expedition I was drawn to quotes on relationships.


Assumptions are the termites of relationships. ~Henry Winkler

*Ain't it the truth? Pretty wise words from the mouth of The Fonz. :)
When we make assumptions, we create entire scenarios in our minds that may or
may not represent the truth of the matter. And when others make assumptions
about us, anger develops as we attempt to prove false those notions that
are suddenly so firmly set in their minds.


Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.~William Jones

*I confess. My attitude is not always as it should be. It comes from years
and years of allowing the same thing to occur over and over again and never
doing anything to actually change it. But let's face it: In some
relationships you are powerless to change things. Sometimes you just have
to do what's best for you and if that involves stepping back and doing it
differently the next time, so be it. Sometimes you have to be the one who
looks out for you. And sometimes it takes 40+ years to realize that.


We are never more discontented with others than when we are discontented with ourselves. ~Henri Frederic Amiel

*Don't think there's much I can add to that one, so 'nuff said. ;)

Your opinion is your opinion, your perception is your perception--do not confuse them with "facts" or "truth". Wars have been fought .... because of the inability of men to understand the idea that EVERYBODY has a different viewpoint. ~John Moore

*Amen. Why do we struggle so when it comes to realizing that our perception is our reality and not everyone's reality? Why is it so difficult to realize that it isn't okay to expect others to behave differently in order to accommodate our own perceptions?

When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment. ~Source Unknown

*That's when you've done everything you can to right a wrong, to mend a fence, to allow someone else to see you as you really are and let them decide if you're worth it to them. And when you are, TERRIFIC! Smile and know go on with your life! And when you're not, realize that you can't change who you are to satisfy everyone in your life. No one can be that many different things to that many different people. As long as you can sleep at night and look at yourself in the mirror the next morning, knowing you've done all you can possibly do...just short of no longer being true to yourself. That's where you draw the line. The sooner you accept it, the sooner you can find that contentment. That's where I'm heading. It's a long road, but I'm getting there. :)

And the sweetest way to end this post, in my humble opinion. : ) One of my all-time favorites:


If you've found that, you are blessed beyond measure!
Because really, isn't that deep down what we all want?